At the conclusion of each season, please take the Middle School Sport Exit survey.
Philosophy of Middle School Sports
The athletic department believes that each student who commits to Garrison's athletic program will learn valuable lessons about how to be successful in meeting the challenges of our competitive society.
To lead a successful life, a person needs to be both mentally and physically alert. They must learn the responsibilities inherent in the commitments of life. The person must approach life positively with a sincere desire to realize dignity and self-worth, as well as that of fellowman. A person must learn to cope with the boredom of inactivity through various mental and physical outlets. They must learn to bounce back in the face of defeat and learn to practice the concepts of cooperation and team work. The athletic program strives to assist our student athletes to reach these goals.
WIAA Middle Level Philosophy
Recognizing the unique developmental needs of the middle level student, the WIAA promotes activities that build student success through active participation, increased skillbuilding, and positive sportsmanship.
- Emphasize participation over win/loss records
- Provide opportunities for everyone to participate
- Balance competition with cooperation
- Encourage lifelong participation in activities
- Emphasize having fun
- Develop age appropriate skills
- Focus on fundamentals
- Develop skills as a foundation for improvement
- Develop a positive team attitude
- Encourage, cooperate and collaborate with peers
- Present positive adult role models that demonstrate self control and (mutual) respect
Middle School Coaches Shall Understand
- Students have varying levels of ability, and coaches need to present a developmentally appropriate program for students.
- Positive encouragement is the strongest tool for learning.
- Coaches should provide a safe environment for kids to “risk” and grow.
- Activities should be meaningful and fun.
- Fundamentals and practice are the building blocks for a successful athlete.
- Coaches are a key role model.
- Every team member’s responsibility is to encourage one another.
- Today’s superstar could be tomorrow’s bench warmer and vice versa.
- The importance of commitment and responsibility.
SPORTS PARTICIPATION GUIDELINES
- Student-Athletes must maintain passing grades to participate.
- All Student-Athletes are required to attend Study Table on Early Release Wednesdays
- ALLstudent athletes participating in sports will report to Study Table each Wednesday at 2:05 pm to 3:05 pm.
- Garrison is a CLOSED campus, students are not to leave campus.
- Snacks will be provided for all students in Study Table.
- Students who do not successfully complete Study Table will not be allowed to participate in practice on that day.
- Regular school discipline will be imposed if necessary.
- Students will be expected to:
- Show up on time
- Be respectful, cooperative and productive during this time