Recently the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) extended the free meal program through December to help ensure all children have access to nutritious food as the country recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, all meals will be free for all children ages 1-18 years. This includes children not enrolled in school. Parents and guardians may pick up meals for their children.
During distance learning, Walla Walla Public Schools is handing out meals Monday through Friday at several school and community locations from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The district will deploy two school buses daily from 12 noon to 1 p.m. at several bus stop route locations across the community. All meals are “Grab & Go” and include lunch and the next day’s breakfast. Please wear face masks or face coverings when picking up meals.
“Grab & Go” Meal Pick Up locations:
Starting Sept. 8
• Berney Elementary (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Edison Elementary (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Garrison Middle School (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Green Park Elementary (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Prospect Point Elementary (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Sharpstein Elementary (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
Starting Sept. 14 (in addition to the locations listed above)
• Washington Park (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Lincoln High School (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.)
• Bus Route One: (please arrive five minutes early)
- 12 noon: Corner for N. Touchet and E. Cherry St.
- 12:10 p.m.: Corner of J. St. and N. Roosevelt St.
- 12:20 p.m.: Vista Terrace Park
- 12:30 p.m.: 2815 Melrose Trailer Park
- 12:40 p.m.: Middle of block between Tausick Way and Garden St.
• Bus Route Two: (please arrive five minutes early)
- 12 noon: The corner of Lodge and Sunset Dr.
- 12:10 p.m.: The corner of Chase and Eagan
- 12:20 p.m.: 11th Ave. Middle of block between Main and Alder
- 12:25 p.m.: 11th Ave. Middle of block between Birch and Willow
- 12:35 p.m.: 11 Ave. and Edith Ave.
- 12:45 p.m.: Corner of W. Moore St. and 8th Ave.
Nutrition Services Director Pamela Milleson reminds that it is important to be ready for the time when the district is back to its regular meal program by continuing to submit Free & Reduced price meal applications, located on the district’s website: https://www.wwps.org/departments/nutrition-services.