What is GEAR UP?
GEAR UP is an acronym for:
Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs.
GEAR UP is a school-based program grant funded by the U.S. Department of Education and administered by Washington State University Tri-Cities. With programs in 73 school districts around the state of Washington, we help students prepare for college and gain access to financial aid.
At GEAR UP, we believe that young people who start planning in middle school have a better chance of entering college and completing their degrees.
The GEAR UP grant objectives are:
1. To provide information regarding financial aid for postsecondary education to GEAR UP students.
2. To enroll GEAR UP students in academically rigorous and challenging courses to reduce the need for college level remedial coursework.
3. To increase the number of GEAR UP students who obtain a secondary school diploma.
4. To increase the number of students attending a postsecondary educational institution.
The vision of GEAR UP is that all students are prepared academically, socially, and financially to enter and complete the postsecondary program of their choice.
GEAR UP programs provide services and support to students in the
Class of 2022 and Class of 2023 including the following:
- Academic Support
- Preparation for College Level Coursework
- Math Tutoring
- Career & College Counseling
- Campus Visits to colleges and universities
- College Financial Planning & Financial Literacy Programs
- Summer Programs
- Scholarship Resources & Assistance
“The whole purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows.”
Sydney J. Harris